Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Big Honkin' Stout

We brewed again on Monday, this time we made a stout. I have to admit while we were making it, the look was so dark it looked pretty close to molasses. I have high hopes for this one.

Here is a link to the recipe:
Big Honkin Stout - Northern Brewer

We didn't actually buy the kit from them, just got the same stuff from our local home brew shop. We have pretty detailed notes again, but we followed their steps exactly so there isn't much point in re-posting them. Here's a picture of the final ingredients:



Also worth noting is that we've started using the iBrewMaster app to find recipes and track our inventory/fermentation schedule. It's great and has a ton of good recipes on it. When we rack it to the secondary I'll post pictures so everyone can get a sense of the color. The one note I will add is that the original gravity was 1.068, so it has the potential for a healthy ABV as it'll spend a total of 6 weeks fermenting.

We're brewing again Saturday (I know dad caught the bug again, but I've definitely caught it, I'd brew every day if I could) and are planning on a Pumpkin Ale and a Barleywine (this one spends almost 190 days fermenting and ends up at a healthy 11ish% ABV!).

Given our current brewing habits and my new found love of home brewing, I think this is going to have to be our next project:
Prettiest Keezer Ever

I'm also going to start including our current beer on tap/fermenting/brewing status:
Brewing (September 1): Pumpkin Ale and Barleywine
On Draft: Elbro Nerkte Brown Ale
Carbonating: Reuinion IPA
Primary Fermentation: Big Honkin Stout
Secondary Fermentation: Elbro Nerkte Brown Ale - Modified

No comments:

Post a Comment